Death By Salt IV, released Friday, July 18, 2008, features music from 13 Utah bands and is the second in a series of genre-specific DBS releases from SLUG Magazine. Limited to only 200 CDs, DBS IV features noise, avant garde and experimental beat music from the Salt Lake music scene.
The Utah music scene is one of the most unique in the nation due to its geographical isolation and outlaw/religious heritage. Largely cut off from the outside world and influenced most strongly by each other, local musicians spawn unique musical creations saturated with sincerity. The majority of Salt Lake musicians eschew ulterior motives; they make music in order to express themselves and to create an alternate world to the conservative culture that surrounds them.
Each track on Death By Salt IV is self-produced and exclusive to the compilation, ranging from extreme black noise to ambient to post-industrial. The CD jackets of DBS IV were skillfully created by artist Cien Watson and constructed by Jen Sorensen of The Rookery, screen-printed and sewn by hand. A silver gelatin photograph of each musical artist featured on the compilation lines the inside of the gatefold packaging.
1. AODL - Stroke It Flakey
2. Night Terror - Kill The Neighbors
3. NJ Foster - Huffstuffn'guff
4. Pussycat Galataca - Owsley Soaked Headband
5. Nolens Volens - Das Reizvolle Berechnung
6. 1h86335 - Gr33nland
7. nonnon - Rimmung II
8. VCR5 - Warriors
9. Tenants of Balthazar's Castle - Rain Dream
10. Hew Mun - Can You Hear My
11. I Hate Girls With Bruises - Fetish Grinder
12. Mafu - Black Diamonds (Nolens Volens RMX)
13. Kqwiet - Prelude to an Electric Wake